rick & 1j13
Saturday, August 24, 2002
 
Wow.

This is one of the best articles I've read in some time. Maybe because it seems alot like me. I didn't have such a traumatic event (involving a car accident) as the author did, and I don't want to belittle it or him in any way by tritely saying, "I understand." However, my own dark night of the soul has brought me to a place of cynicism, too. It's a place where I can only avoid my own failings, not feel pretentious enough to point out yours.

It's in the music I choose to listen to, in the books I choose to read, in the movies I choose to watch. I started looking for a depth that seemed to be missing from the church. But I find myself looking for a depth that's been missing from me.

I've been drawn to the lives of Henri Nouwen and Thomas Merton, stories like Tan's Foreign Bodies and Farrington's The Monk Downstairs (just started that one), CDs like Busted Stuff by DMB and soundtracks - good, instumental, moving your heart soundtracks. The depth I'm looking for is outside of me, and inside of me at the same time. And I'm learning that only God - *only* God, and absolutely nothing else - is deep enough for that longing. He's showing me that He is all there is, that there is nothing else - and is that Enough for me?

It is. Living it out is the journey, isn't it?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger