rick & 1j13
Tuesday, March 25, 2003
 
I'm watching the reports on the war in Iraq on CNN, MSNBC, and FOXNews. While I drink my morning java and write a quick post to the blog, US personnel are pushing into Baghdad to engage the enemy. Just making me go "hmmm?" this morning... I don't want to shrink the level of very real sacrifice that these men and women are going through in order to make some trite and sappy metaphor of life. But isn't it a metaphor for how many of us live - drinking coffee, watching from a distance while others engage in combat?

I don't want to lose the serenity of a moment where it's quiet, the sun is rising, the breeze is barely blowing off the mornign fog, and the aroma and taste of a good cup of coffee ensures that all the senses are engaged in living in the moment. But at the same time, I think we all realize that we're missing out on true purpose if we're not engaged in something deeper, harder, harsher, more violent in some way. Michaela sees it - I'm a wee bit jealous of her weather and view in Edinburgh, but she realizes that there's something to be said about enjoying the scenery while such devastating war and death and pain is going on elsewhere in the world: "It seems horribly ironic that this amazing day occurs here while such hell goes on a world away... Keep praying... I feel so undeserving, so blessed. I've been missing home a lot lately, and today reminds me of how awesome this place is. As if I should have to be reminded... And I am quite sure that I have never loved Edinburgh, Scotland as much as I do today..."

I think she captured something that I need, too. Enjoy the scenery. Bask in the sunshine. Smell the coffee. And somehow, understand that the richness of the beauty is not hindered by the violence of war. And the hell of conflict cannot remove the effect of true beauty on our lives. The key might be in finding a balance somehow. Engage the enemy. Enjoy the scenery.


Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger