rick & 1j13
Saturday, June 21, 2003
 
Alright, I'm changing to HULK GREEN as my way of defying the Harry Potter media blitz, and as a means to show that I'm really looking forward to THE HULK tomorrow evening. Not kidding about the media blitz and hype - all four local news broadcasts last night were at different bookstores last night, where parents waited with the own little muggles to plop down $$$ for the latest edition of the saga. I'm not going to get caught in the trap of defending one side or the other philosophically or theologically. I just like my fiction to still have some kind of moral compass that stays in tact on various levels - i.e., people doing bad things get punished, and people doing good things get lauded. I know bad things happen to good people and vice versa, but a good story will still keep you engrossed while challenging you to sense that underlying morality and integrity beyond the simplicity of good vs. evil. I'd rather spend time with Tolien or CS Lewis, or even Hiaasen's HOOT or Suchar's HOLES, then read 800+ more pages that might glorify the application of "the ends justifies the means" to a generation of future movers and shakers.

IMHO.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger