rick & 1j13
Thursday, July 24, 2003
 
Does it ever surprise you just how much time we waste doing things that don't matter? You know what I mean: sit down in front of the TV and you're going to be there for a few hours. Sit in front of the PC, and you might as well bring a pillow for the evening. And if you're surfing through blogs? Puh-lease - hours can just fly by. In the mean time, I find myself feeling tired and rundown through the day, relationships with "real people" are tense more often, and we lose touch with ourselves and with the Father. It's no wonder that there are from time to time folks who take a sabbatical from their blogs, or who fast from the PC altogether, or who make resolutions to read the Bible and nothing but the Bible for a period of time.

Whether I want to admit it or not, PC time takes away from my family time, my prayer life, and sleep. TV time does the same thing, and has a dumbifying effect, too, doesn't it? So what do I do with this? Turn off the TV, let the screensaver take care of the desktop, and sit on the couch with my wife and the radio on. I started this year trying to read more, so it's not going to be that hard to de-digitalize myself and pull myself away from the tube. But just making that decision and following through... that's where it hits the fan, isn't it?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger