rick & 1j13
Tuesday, August 19, 2003
 
I'm reading a new book: FLABBERGASTED by Ray Blackston. Set between the upstate of SC and the beach, it's right up my alley. So far, the main character/narrator is growing on me: sarcastic and thinks too much. I like Blackston's writing style - as much of it as we can get from his first novel - and his language is just descriptive enough for me without bogging the story down with too many details.

I hope he can move on to a second and third book with as much fanfare. Lately, I've noticed that some of the biggest authors today aren't as much fun for me as they where in their earlier works. I really like Tom Clancy's RED STORM RISING, but most of the Jack Ryan series has gotten blah for me. I still think John Grisham's A TIME TO KILL was his best novel - even though it was "first" and not widely available until the others took off. Pastor and I were talking about Max Lucado yesterday - ON THE ANVIL is by far my favorite, his first one I think, but I haven't read anything of his in years because it all feels the same.

All that to say that I hope Blackston continues to write, and that his stuff only gets better from here.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger