rick & 1j13
Monday, October 20, 2003
 
But the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control. Against such things there is no law. Those who belong to Christ Jesus have crucified the sinful nature with its passions and desires. Since we live by the Spirit, let us keep in step with the Spirit.
- Galatians 5:22-25 NIV

You might've read these verses many times before, or even memorized the fruit of the Spirit in a discipleship class at church. What's always jumped out at me is how many times these attitudes are missing in our lives, and how many times we feel the need to manufacture the missing attitude in order to maintain some status quo level of spirituality. If I'm having a particularly hectic day, I might grit my teeth and ask for patience. Or if I'm finding myself burdened with deadlines and stress, I might will-power my self-control into gear so I don't throttle somebody.

But these things should flow naturally out of us; they can't be forced through the will or the ego. We aren't saved by our good works, and neither are we rescued by our right attitudes. A key to bearing the fruit of the Spirit is to "keep in step with the Spirit." As we live by Him, we also die to self in Him - and the fruit isn't manufactured by our own selfish personality, but rather by the presence of Christ in us and with u

Mondays were made for fruity people. So be ye fruity.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger