rick & 1j13
Friday, October 31, 2003
 
So much anymore, holidays are about peer pressure. I was going to write about how difficult it is to do anything else on Halloween other than Halloween stuff. But one thought led to another - that's how my mind works sometimes - and I realized it's the same for Christmas, Thanksgiving, all the biggies.

The only thing I know for certain is that I don't want to be anywhere near my house tonite. We live in a very nice neighborhood, with one main 1.5 mile street and lots of little cul de sac offshoots - and everyone within fifteen miles brings their children to our neighborhood. There will be officers up front checking ID for addresses. There will be congested parking on the shoulders and in front yards for the first half-mile into the subdivision. And the kids will keep coming. No kidding, we see parents lugging little bitty kids down the street, still ringing doorbells at 10pm. That's nuts. Not my house - please, if you're going to TP the yard, do it on the low trees and not the high pine branches. Other than that, knock yourself out. We'll be back later.

Here's the Friday Five - get my mind off this irritating little holiday:
1. What was your first Halloween costume?
I don't remember. Sure it was something with a one piece face mask and flame-retardant plastic. My kids both shared a costume, years apart of course, as their first - a fluffy little pumpkin. Both of them were perfect for the part.
2. What was your best costume and why?
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I went as one of the members of KISS one time. Peter, I think. That was cool.
3. Did you ever play a trick on someone who didn't give you a treat?
No - not my style.
4. Do you have any Halloween traditions? (ie: Family pumpkin carving, special dinner before trick or treating, etc.)
Get out of my neighborhood!!!!!!
5. Share your favorite scary story...real or legend!
One day, a long time ago... the Brady Bunch debuted on national television. BBrrrbbrrrbbrrr - scary!

But I'm serious about this peer-pressure thing. It's like we can't do something different because we've always done this. If anything, "this" has to get bigger and better each year, but heaven forbid we do something different. I've got one idea that I didn't feel like doing this year, but it might make it out of hte bag next year. I want to have a KID-FREE zone in my yard. While parents walk their little ankle-biters to the other houses, I'll set up a Coke/Tea/Coffee table in my yard just for them. Chat a little. Share Jesus. Be cordial and smile alot. That's about the only thing I can think of to redeem this nasty little holiday.

Can you tell I don't like Halloween? Anyone up for asking me about my take on the pomp & circumstance surrounding Christmas?
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger