rick & 1j13
Sunday, June 13, 2004
 
Soggy Obedience
It's been raining off an on here for the last twenty hours or so. After building to about 95F yesterday, the skies opened and started dumping. We've needed it, and now I'm just hoping it will keep raining a little more today - keep the temperatures down, the humidity down, the breezes blowing for my afternoon nap. Just put on a pot of coffee. I need to shower, get the kids up, help get the family ready for church. But I really enjoy this time of quiet and rest right before the thunder of little feet on the stairs signals the end.

We're going to be talking about OBEDIENCE and ADJUSTING OUR LIVES this morning in Bible study. When we really seek to follow God's will, and we want to look at what He's already doing so we can join Him in His work, that's the time to adjust and to obey, no matter what. When God reveals Himself, it's nearly always an invitation to join Him. Our biggest downfall is that usually, we rationalize away what's going on, and we don't make adjustments to our lives that would reflect willing and obedient hearts.

Jesus replied, "If anyone loves me, he will obey my teaching. My Father will love him, and we will come to him and make our home with him." (John 14:23 NIV)

When we use a statement like that - "if you loved me, you'd do this" - it's a manipulative situation. But with Jesus, it's a promise: "If you love Me, you'll find yourself obeying Me; you'll find the strength and courage to do as called, because you love me and want to join me." How many of us "love Jesus", but we don't obey? And yet, the only way to really find out that His promises are true amd that He will do as He has said is to obey, to follow Him and find out that His ways are higher, but that He's also prepared us and empowered us to do whatever He's calling us to in life.
Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger